How do I collect applications and screening reports through Apartments.com?
With Apartments.com's Rental Tools, you can list your rental, collect applications and screening reports, create a lease and get it signed, and receive rent payments.
In this article, you'll learn how to receive applications and screening reports.
To get started, add your property on Apartments.com and invite renters to apply.
How renters apply
With Rental Tools enabled, your listing will include an "Apply" button. Renters can apply right from your Apartments.com listing from their computer or mobile device.
Renters pay $24.99 to apply and run their TransUnion™ credit, criminal, and eviction reports. The application is reusable, so renters can share it with other participating rentals on Apartments.com for up to 30 days.
Invite renters to apply
If you'd like to invite a renter to apply, you can do so directly from your Apartments.com account. All you'll need is the applicant's email address and name and Apartments.com will take care of the rest!
From your Applications page, select the property the renter's interested in and click on Invite to Apply. Alternatively, you can also send an application invitation by clicking on your rental on your Properties page and selecting Invite to Apply from the drop-down box.
For more detailed instructions on how to directly send an invite to apply, we recommend checking out this helpful guide here.
What you'll get
When someone applies through your Apartments.com listing, you'll receive an online application and TransUnion™ credit, criminal, and eviction reports. Applicants verify their identities and pay for their own reports, so you don’t have to collect application fees.
- Include your renter's name and contact info, and preferred move in date.
- Any co-applicants, minors, guarantors, or pets who will be living with the main applicant
- Residence history, employment & income details, and references.
- Identification info, and any vehicle information.
TransUnion™ credit, criminal, and eviction reports
When someone applies, you'll receive their reports right alongside their application. Reports are run as “soft inquiries,” so they won’t negatively affect applicants’ credit.
| Credit report
|| Criminal report
|| Eviction report
| Credit reports are provided through TransUnion SmartMove. You'll receive a ResidentScore, which is a credit report built for tenant screening and is designed to provide a more accurate assessment of how likely an applicant is to perform as a renter.
→ See an example credit report
| Criminal reports through TransUnion search in over 200 million records from both state and national databases including Most Wanted Databases and National Sex Offender Public Registry to make sure you have all the information you need before moving forward with an applicant.
→ See an example criminal report
| Eviction reports through TransUnion’s help you predict future behavior by knowing your tenant's past history. TransUnion has one of the largest evictions database with 25+ million eviction records, covering all 50 states plus Washington D.C..
→ See an example eviction report
You'll get an email whenever you've received a new application. You can view applications from your dashboard and contact your applicants directly if you need additional information before making a decision.
Once you receive an application, you'll have a few options:
- View Application will show your applicant's contact info, useful if you need to schedule a showing or ask them a question.
- Accept will send your renters a notification that their application was selected and they got the place.
- Request Guarantor will lets applicants know they’ll need to add a guarantor to undersign the application and any lease agreements.
- Decline will send them a notification and let them know. At that point, you’ll no longer have access to the application and screening reports.
- Set up Residents will take you to Apartments.com's lease builder, so you can create a lease agreement with the applicant.
- Archive will let you move the application from the main Applications dashboard view without changing its status.