How to fill and lease your vacancy using online tools
Have a vacancy but unable to do normal things such as give a tour in-person or sign a lease? If you're wondering where to begin, you're in the right place! This guide will show you from start to finish how to:
- Make your listing stand out
- Offer a live virtual tour
- Accept applications and rent payments– all online
- Get more leads
How do I make my listing stand out?
- Add a listing on Apartments.com by adding your property and selecting "Add a listing"
- Be prepared with great photos and an attractive property description
If you're unsure of how to do either of these, don't worry! Check out these great resources which will help make your listing stand out to potential renters:
- Tips on using your phone to make photos stand out
- Writing tips for a Mind-Blowing Property Description
We recommend the image file size be under 75 MB and in JPG/JPEG, GIF, or PNG format only.
How do I give a tour?
When potential renters click on your listing, they'll be able to view a phone number where they can call you or they can email you directly through our contact form.
When a potential renter reaches out, try to understand that while they may press for an in-person tour, it just might not be possible at the moment. Be prepared with alternative tour ideas by offering sharing a video or a live online tour!
The fastest way to give a tour of your property is to share a video of your vacancy. Most smart devices such as phones and tablets have high quality cameras that can shoot video. Platforms like Youtube, Vimeo, and Facebook allows you to share a video link of your property without any hassle.
To learn more on how to take great videos on your device, check out these tips from an Apartments.com videographer who'll show you how to shoot videos like a pro:
Tip: Live online tours via FaceTime or other video chat services are easy ways to show your property and quickly answer any questions a renter may have.
What do I do once I've found a potential renter?
With Apartments.com's Rental Tools, you can take the next steps with your renter. These features are for property owners and managers which include:
- Online applications
- Screening reports
- Custom digital leases
- Online payments
There's two ways to use our Rental Tools:
1. When you first get started on Apartments.com and add a property, Rental Tools will be enabled.
2. If you currently have an active listing, visit your property dashboard and click on "Enable Rental Tools".
How do I get more leads?
The best way to get more leads is to upgrade your listing!
Upgrading a listing on Apartments.com to Premium will give you 10x more exposure than a listing by giving you:
- Higher placement in search results
- A bigger, more prominent ad
- 30 days of higher visibility
Pricing for Premium varies depending on your state and market, and you will be prompted with the price when the feature is activated.
To turn on Premium, simply go to the Menu, select Customer Tools and then Properties. There will be the option to upgrade to Premium on the listing of your choosing.
Need more help?
For more tips on managing your rentals, learn more at our Rental Manager resource center.