How do I take great unit-level images?
The best way to elevate your listing on Apartments.com is to add well-shot images of your units. Uploading quality images quickly increases leads and interest by showing renters what your unit has to offer.
What equipment do I need?
- A professional camera or smartphone – A camera is all you need to start taking photos of your unit.
- A tripod (optional) – Securing your camera or smartphone on a tripod allows you to capture higher fidelity images.
Taking Great Unit-level Images
- Clean – Deep clean every room of the unit, wash all surfaces, dust light fixtures, and vacuum.
- Stage – Open blinds, turn on lights, and open doors. Ensure your unit looks welcoming to renters.
Camera Tips and Tricks
- Take lots of photos – A large pool of images ensures you have plenty of options to choose from when making selections for your listing.
- Take horizontal images – Viewing vertical images on a desktop may be difficult or awkward for some users.
- Take images at chest height – This angle provides the most accurate view of your home and highlights details like countertops, appliances, and sinks.
- Level the camera – Ensure that the vertical lines of walls, counters, or mirrors are straight in relation to the camera’s viewpoint. Creating these “leveled” images helps the viewer get a real sense of what they are looking at.
- Avoid close-ups – Providing images of open and clean spaces gives renters the best representation of your unit.
- Highlight room layouts – For smaller rooms, shoot from the entrance. For larger rooms, shoot diagonally from the entrance.
- Use proper lighting – Ensure that each room is filled with natural light. If a room does not have natural light access, use 60-watt “warm” or “bright white” light bulbs. This will help your unit feel soft and welcoming.
Be sure to avoid the following pitfalls when taking images of your units.
- Reflections of yourself or others in mirrors or windows
- Fingerprints on surfaces
- Running ceiling fans
- Lighting overexposure (Dark interiors and bright light from windows is an example of this)
These images are a must-have when showcasing your units on Apartments.com.
- Master bedroom
- Living room
- Additional bedrooms (if applicable)